Report E-Mail Fraud
If you think you have received a suspicious email, pop-up ad or have been directed to a suspicious looking website, file a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Consumer Complaint and an Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) Complaint.
If you have entered personal information in response to a fraudulent email, you should act immediately to reduce the risk of becoming a victim. Here's what to do:
- Report the incident to the WPCCU Member Service Representative at 800-300-9728.
- Contact these credit bureaus and instruct them to flag your accounts with a "fraud alert."
- Equifax Fraud Hotline (800) 525-6285
- Experian Fraud Hotline (888) 397-3742
- TransUnion Fraud Hotline (800) 680-7289
- Contact credit card companies if you provided card account information in the phishing scam. Close any affected accounts so that they are registered as "closed at customer request."
- File a FTC Identity Theft Complaint with the FTC or call the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at (877) 438-4338.
- File a Social Security Administration (SSA) Fraud Report with the Social Security Administration if you entered your Social Security number in response to a fraudulent email. You can also call the SSA Fraud Hotline at (800) 269-0271.
- Report suspicious emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a WPCCU member, the security of your accounts and personal information are a priority to us. We will work in cooperation with you and law enforcement agencies to investigate any suspicious activity.
Businesses can obtain information about you from public records such as those available at Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorders Office. They may use this information to market their services, and sometimes make reference to our credit union. WPCCU cannot control or restrict the use of publicly available information about you, nor do we authorize these businesses to use our name. There are some steps you can take to minimize these and other types of direct mail solicitations.
You can contact credit-reporting agencies directly and ask that your name be removed from unsolicited credit offers from credit card companies and financial institutions. You may call (888) 5-OPT-OUT (5678-688) or write to:
P.O. Box 9556
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 97328
Jackson, MI 39288-7328.
Direct Mail and Telemarketing Solicitations
You can contact the Direct Marketing Association (DMA) and ask that your name be removed from lists used for direct mail and telephone solicitations. This will eliminate advertising from companies that subscribe to the DMA services, but there are many other companies that do not subscribe. For the companies that do not subscribe, you will need to contact them directly.
Mail Preference Services
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 9008
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008
Telephone Preference Service
Direct Marketing Service
P.O. Box 9014
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014
Fraud Reporting Form
Water and Power Community Credit Union will NEVER email or telephone you to ask for your social security or account number. If you suspect you have received a fraudulent email or phone call claiming to be from WPCCU, please contact us immediately at (800) 300-9728 or use the secure form below.